Korean BBQ Pizza
As Korean Americans, kimchi is one of our favorite condiments to add to any meal - even pizza! While we enjoy spoiling ourselves with Korean BBQ spreads at home, sometimes we're just too tired to break out the portable grill. For those that would love to enjoy the unique flavors of Korean BBQ with out the hassle and mess, this one-pot cast-iron pizza recipe is for you! This recipe uses both sautéd kimchi and raw kimchi, taking advantage of the deep and complex flavors that come from various preparations of kimchi. Loaded with Korean beef brisket and a savory ssamjang (쌈장) sauce, this Korean BBQ pizza is perfect for a quiet night in (preferably with a cozy bed nearby).
- 8 oz. premade pizza dough
- 1/2 lb thin-sliced beef brisket (차돌백이)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Dead Veggies napa cabbage kimchi
- 1/4 cup Dead Veggies kimchi juice
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 Tbsp Korean doenjang paste (된장)
- 2 Tbsp Korean gochujang paste (고추장)
- 2 sundried tomato halves
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped perilla leaves (깻잎)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Warm an oven-safe pan (we used a cast iron) over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- While the pan is heating up, remove the seeds and stems from the dried guajillo chiles. Add them to your hot pan and toss the peppers for about 30 seconds, being careful not to burn them. After toasted and colored, add one cup of water, turn off the heat, and transfer to a heat-safe bowl. Steep the chiles until soft and pliable.
- In a blender, add the chiles and water, garlic, doenjang, gochujang, sundried tomatoes, honey, sesame oil, and the white part of the green onions (reserve the green portion for garnish). Blend to a smooth consistency and set aside.
- Over medium high heat, cook the beef brisket until no longer pink. Once the beef is cooked, add half of the napa cabbage kimchi and cook until translucent. Turn off the heat, deglaze the pan with kimchi juice, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475º F
- Add 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to your oven-safe pan. Wipe the excess oil with a paper towel to coat the entire pan. Lay your pizza dough evenly across the bottom.
- Add 5 tablespoons of pizza sauce and spread evenly across the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border for crust.
- Cover evenly with shredded mozzarella, beef brisket, and sautéd kimchi.
- Brush crust with extra virgin olive oil and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake on center rack for 15 minutes or until dough is crispy on the bottom and cooked throughout.
The Best Part
- Remove pizza from oven and garnish with fresh kimchi, green onions, and chopped perilla leaves.
- For an extra-indulgent treat, drizzle with kewpie mayo, your remaining ssamjang sauce, or a mix of both.
- Enjoy with friends and family.
- Thank your veggies.